Translate

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Moneyless Tribe Becomes Reality

It's been weeks since I've had net access.  Still little time to write here.
Darby, MT
The moneyless tribe is now reality, dream materialized!  I am walking with 5 amazing people (Cody, Summer, Brandon, Javier, and Mika) in abundance.  We're in Darby, MT now, on our way to Missoula.

From the East Coast to Montana

What a whizzing whirlwind it's been.  Last I blogged, I was in CT.  I hitched to eastern New Jersey and couldn't get a ride out, & was seriously doubting I could make it to MT for even the Rainbow Gathering to launch of the moneyless tribe, much less to meet the appointment with the British film crew, Me & You Productions, in Billings beforehand.  I finally found a library to contact the Brits, and it turned out they were in NYC at the time.  So they picked me up and put me on a bus to Billings!

Before I got to Billings I had a clear vision that I'd meet up with Cody and Phil as I walked away from the bus station (They didn't have a clue when I'd arrive in Billings, or even if I could make it).  But I arrived, and walked a couple blocks from the station.  I saw a couple folks who looked street smart and thought I'd ask them where the library was.  As I got a few feet closer, I saw that they were Cody and Phil!  I felt a great sense of relief and gratitude.  Cody, who had lived moneyless for a year and a half, went back to using a little money for a while.  He still had a little stash, as well as a car his mother insisted he bring.  We discussed whether or not he could ditch the car in Billings or just bring it to Rainbow and give it to somebody there.  We opted for the second option, especially since we ran into a couple (Matthew and Ashley) hitching to the Rainbow who needed a ride.  I also thought it would provide a great means to bring massive amounts of recycled food to the Gathering.

It turned out Phil decided he wasn't ready to do the moneyless tribe thing, and he ended up leaving.  I felt sad about that, but such is life.  I was so grateful Cody was with me, because the idea of launching a moneyless tribe by myself at Rainbow was feeling overwhelming.  Cody and I set up camp at a beautiful spot near the river with Matthew and Ashley.  We would stay there until the Brits arrived for filming. 




An Idiot Abroad

Karl Pilkington

Funny, the British TV thing.  Originally, I'd thought they wanted to do a documentary.  But I finally had time to look them up at the library and realized they were the crew of "An Idiot Abroad", starring
Karl Pilkington,  a very popular "reality show" in both Britain & the US.  "What am I getting myself into?!" I thought.  I felt strong misgivings about agreeing to do this, quickly losing heart.  I met the producers and film crew at a fancy hotel, but not Karl.  Karl wouldn't meet me until the next day.

The next day we met at Pioneer Park.  Karl hadn't eaten since the evening before and was feeling cranky & tired from hypoglycemia.  So I gave him some granola and trail mix I'd foraged from dumpsters, and he became happy.  He ended up interviewing me for an hour or more about the philosophy of moneyless living and about the idea of happiness (the episode's theme was "happiness").  I liked Karl and his sincerity and inquisitive spirit, and thought, "I feel good about this after all.")  Then the film crew prodded us to walk & do  my Billings routine.  So I took Karl dumpster-diving.   We found pizza, more granola, a Dutch apple pie, some chicken, a pair of nice jeans Karl's size, and picked up a couple wool sport blazers from a thrift store dumpster (since Karl was cold).  And, since Karl had no sleeping gear, we went to another dumpster and found a warm blanket.  Karl was amazed at every find, at its utter synchronicity, and kept asking me and the film crew if we had set it all up beforehand.  Of course we didn't, I and they kept telling him.

There's much more that happened, but hopefully you can watch it when it airs in the Autumn (October, I think).  Karl was hilarious.  What I discovered is that Karl didn't at all put on an act.  He's totally himself.  And the film crew staged absolutely nothing, which surprised me to no end.  They let Karl and I decide everything that happened.

It turned out grand fun, but I was relieved when it was all over with.  But there was to be more to come...

To the Rainbow Gathering

Location of the Moneyless Tribe, overlooking Rainbow Gathering
We arrived at the Rainbow Gathering near Jackson, Montana.  We didn't even have to look for a camp for the moneyless tribe - it basically called us.  The first place we went, up on a ridge overlooking the gathering, we found really friendly, welcoming neighbors.  So we put our packs down and stayed.  Shortly afterward, a guy named White Dog set up his tee pee right by our moneyless tribe sign, and then built an inipi (sweat lodge).  The tee pee was visible from all over the gathering, a great marker showing where we were.  And I was so happy to be able to do sweat lodge right next door.

Suelo on July 4th Celebration


Cody & nieghbor, Lief
For days Cody and I wandered around, not knowing hardly anybody, since we were so early.  I kept having doubts nobody would show up and the moneyless tribe could be a flop.  On the other hand, I felt a bit freaked out about maybe 30 people showing up wanting to join.  Either way, I kept falling into doubts over the unknown.  I had already publicized it... and what would happen?  On top of all that, the Hungarian TV journalist, Hesna (Al Ghaoui Hesna) and her film crew were arriving to document the first couple weeks of the moneyless tribe!  It was testing my faith, my ability to remain grounded in the present.

Launching the Moneyless Tribe

Hesna, Hungarian TV Journalist
I put signs up around the gathering directing folks to the moneyless tribe camp.  Then I announced it at the dinner circle.  The next day we waited, and about 12 people showed up to hear what this was all about.  It turned out I mostly philosophized about it, since people were more interested in the philosophy of why we wanted to do this than the practicalities.  I felt it turned out very good, feeling quite inspired.  Within five minutes of everybody leaving, the Hungarian film crew arrived!  They set up camp near us and started interviewing immediately.
Tyler & me at the Rainbow Gathering

I also gave presentations the next 2 days.  About a dozen people showed up at each one, and I felt more on fire inspired, and so did everybody else, as we went.  He Hungarians filmed the second day presentation.  Also, our tribe members started showing up, one-by-one.  I can't describe the warmth and love and gratitude I was feeling.  I had been feeling so weak, so doubtful, so unworthy, so I knew this wasn't from me.  Skeptical pragmatists, think what you will, but I felt and feel the Divine Hand, which is not my doing, not from me.  One-by-one, Javier, Brandon, and Summer showed up.  They had been thinking of this months before coming, and we'd been in a bit of email contact.  Summer had actually been thinking about it for years. 

Brandon, Cody, Summer, with neighbors
Then three others, Tyler, another Brandon, and Trent, showed up to camp near us.  These three really want to join us on the walk, but can't until maybe later.  Then, on the last day of  the presentation, Mika showed up.  She had read the book and was amazed to find us at the gathering.  Her decision to join the tribe was most spontaneous.

Meanwhile, Hesna and her Hungarian crew, Adam and Irwin, were filming and interviewing each of us, as well as some potential members.  It was awkward and tiring having cameras on us all the time, but also fun.  I felt quite privileged for such an opportunity.  They also documented the first three days of us leaving.walking out of the gathering.
 
Javier, Cody, Summer, Suelo at July 4th Celebration
Javier
Mika
















Giving away the Car and the last money

Cody and I befriended a woman, Mikara, at the Gathering, who was setting up solar showers, doing a good service.  It turned out she didn't have gas and didn't know how she would get to Eugene.  Cody gave her his last money, $120, and she cried tears of gratitude.  Then we met a couple with a baby who didn't know how they were going to get back to Las Vegas, and Cody signed his car title over to them.  It was beautiful to see how natural it was for Cody, how totally in sync he was with people's needs.

[Photos of tribe members taken by Tyler Whitney]

The Tribe Walks

Good hospitality in Jackson

We walked through Jackson, then to Wisdom.  We were so grateful to find that the cooks and proprietor at Rose's Cantina in Jackson were friendly and generous, giving us their excess leftover food along with smiles. I recommend going to Rose's Cantina fb page and 'liking' them.


Nasty hospitality in Jackson

It was so refreshing after dealing with many unbelievably unfriendly, inhospitable people in Jackson and Wisdom (in Beaverhead county for the most part), especially the people at the Hot Springs Lodge.  We simply asked them for food they were throwing away, and we graciously left, without defiance or rebelliousness, when they told us to not "loiter" in front of their resort.  Yet the police found us later and told us they had thrown us out.  Either they had blatantly lied to the cop or the cop was lying to us.  I am not surprised to see that Jackson Hot Springs Lodge has terrible ratings on the Internet!

That evening we had no place to sleep, so we crossed a fence in a cattle field, where there were no private property signs, and somebody else called the cops on us.  We ended up sleeping on swampy ground right by the road.

We figured things would get better walking into Wisdom.  Food-wise, it was good, as we retrieved quite a few cans of spaghetti sauce, potatoes, and a bag of pinto beans from the dumpster behind the Antler Saloon.  But the proprietor came out and scolded us, yelling, "get out of my dumpster!"  She said she would call the cops.  Only a few times in my life have I ever met such a hateful, mean-spirited human being.  It's surprising to see such folks that you think only exist in movies.  I asked her how on earth she thought we were hurting her or any creature on earth.   But we left, as she requested.  I didn't think she would be so vindictive to call the cops, but Mika said she was sure she would.  Later that evening, we found a free public place to camp by the river.  As we were cooking, the same cop from the previous night showed up and scolded us again.  The woman had actually called him.  The cop said he wanted us out of Beaverhead County ASAP, and I told him our wants were mutual, that I'd be out of this inhospitable place now if I could.  But Mika, thank God for her, later talked with him and smoothed things over.  He finally ended up being very nice and gave us granola bars and said it would be fine to stay another day, to heal up from blisters.  He was doing his job.  Police have to go out on calls when they are called.





Good Hospitality in Ravali County

We met a woman named Liz in Wisdom, coming from the Rainbow Gathering.  She offered to give us a ride, in collaboration with the Hungarian film crew, to the Ravali county line, at the summit.

The Hungarians stayed with us another day, filming and interviewing, and then left for their flight to Hungary from Missoula.

They left us with some food, including a couple cans of ravioli.  It was quite funny, because many days before I was joking with Cody and a couple others, saying, "we're going to eat ravioli in Ravali County!"  Lo and behold, ravioli was our very first meal in Ravali County.

We had several people offer us rides on our walk.

We were on a long stretch and I was thinking we, a tribe of 6, might have to skimp a bit, and everybody was prepared to maybe fast.  Yes, silly me, I was doubting that faith couldn't work as well for 6 as it would for just me.  We were also quite exhausted.
East Fork Bitterroot River

We then passed some trash cans.  I found some rubber cement, which I'd been needing, but no food.  We passed a field on the other side of the road with construction equipment in it, and a dumpster.  A couple of us said, "It's not worth it checking that dumpster.  Why would there be anything in it?"  A couple folks needed a rest, so we stopped.  I thought, "Oh well, I'll check that dumpster anyway," and I crossed the road.  It was chuck full of frozen food, not yet thawed!  Fish, sausages, tortillas, bread galore!  Out in the middle of nowhere.  We were astonished.  And we feasted for days on that food.  Never hungry.

Near Conner, we asked permission to camp on somebody's beautiful land near the river.  They came later that evening and brought us even more food.  They were 3 young guys, incredibly friendly and generous.

We walked on the next day, and now we're in Darby.  We've been camping in a park near the Mormon Church.  We decided to attend the Mormon Church yesterday.  Very friendly and sincere people there.  One of the women members, named Sherry, brought us lots of food last night.  A couple Mormon missionaries came later and brought us a Book of Mormon.  We actually had a good talk.

We were going to leave today, but I wanted to finally do some email and write this blog post.

So here it is.

I want to talk about each of the beautiful people in our tribe, Javier, Cody, Mika, Summer, and Brandon.  But it will have to wait.  I can't describe the warmth and gratitude I feel.





 

58 comments:

  1. Smiling ear to ear reading the adventures north!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read more. I hope you guys succeed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! Love the adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here’s an excellent commentary on why a central currency was created.

    Conversations w_ Great Minds - Dr. Rushkoff - When Everything Happens Now P2

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBAJy6Ruzmk&list=PLrcTxj34M_VZh3WJR9qye_m5aCuYeCypG


    Part 1 of transcript

    Thom Hartmann, host of the The Big Picture on RT:
    On page 147 you're getting into this thing on how money came about and how economies came about. This was one of the most eloquent ways of summarizing this. You were talking about flow based economies and I'd like you to address that in just a second.

    You said the beauty of a flow based economy is that it favors those who actively create value kind of channeling Adam Smith. The problem is that it disfavors those who are used reaping passive rewards. Then you talked about how aristorcracy didn't much like that. The wealthy needed a way to make money simply by having money. One by one each of the early monarchies of Europe outlawed the kingdoms local currencies and replaced them with a single central currency. How did we go… and then you talk about money as time and time as a new form of money. Can you give us that riff? Can you summarize that for us. It's such a brilliant concept.

    Douglas Rushkoff, Technology and Media Commentator, CNN:
    I don't get to talk about it that much. This is not just to bribe you. I wrote this book and and the one before with your books on my desk. We're talking about a similar thing from two different sides really. Industrial Age money is an invention. It was invented the same time as the clock. It was the same time that we decided to pay people for their hours rather than the value they created. Back in the late middle ages the thing that crashed feudalism, the thing that led to the rise of the merchant middle class was the marketplace. It was a real time peer to peer marketplace. Where people made goods and exchanged them directly and they used local currencies to do this. Because local currencies were based in grain that was brought in right from the fields. It was just a receipt. And it tended to really… it was biased very much towards transaction. It was a great peer to peer active economy. The problem with this was the wealthy weren't participating in it. The wealthy hadn't created value in centuries. They didn't how make anything. So they changed the law. They invented central currency and outlawed all the other kinds. And the brilliance behind central currency is it had a built in clock. That was the time bias behind it. You lend it out at interest so that it has to be paid back in the future more than you put in. So that's how we ended up with an economy that has to expand. The economy has to grow in order for it just to stay still. It was great for colonialism. It was great for expanding economies because it was growing. But what do you do when you reach the 21st century when there's no more room to grow. That's where we use digital technology. We turned human attention, human time into the new commodity, into the new growth area.

    That's why we're all online all the time. Maybe online in ten different places at once. If you're not connected then you're not producing in the economy. Where the real opportunity of the digital age, and we're seeing the beginnings of it in things like Etsy or Kickstarter. The real possiblity of here is to restore or retrieve the peer to peer economy that we lost before. To look for an economic rule set that instead of just favoring those who want to accumulate capital it's starts to favor those who want to transact, who want to actually create value and exchange value themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part 2 of transcript

    TH
    So how does this relate to things like time based currencies. When I lived in Vermont they had the "Green Mountain Hours" they were called not dollars. Each one was worth one hour of a person's time. Whether that person was a dentist, or whether that person was a farmer, or whether they were a plumber, we all just traded them and the locally owned local business would take them. McDonald's wouldn't take them and it kept that money in the economy and it kept people in the economy. Is there a digital example to this and is there a lesson we can learn?

    DR
    There absolutely is. Local currencies haven't tended to be local because you have trust when you know who that other person is. There's the candle maker, there's the massage therapist there's the baby sitter and now we can all exchange value. You have a bit of responsibility, there's some liability and accountability because you're living in the same community. How do you make those things work in long distance fashion. The cell phone is a great tool for that. Now we can authenticate digitally. The beauty of these things is… when we have an economic problem we have the President saying how do we figure out to get the banks to lend money to companies, so they put a factory in a town, so the factory can give a job to people, so people can work hours and they get that money so they can go and buy stuff from other people who are working at Walmart distributing goods that are made in China. You know that's the long way around. If you have a place where there are people with needs and people with skills you have the basis for an economy. All they need is a means of exchanging value that is a little more complex than barter. And that's where peer to peer currencies come into play. And that's where our devices give us the ability to seek out people with reputations that we can verify. To do transactions in a way that we can trust because it's being recorded in a way that has just as much or more authority than the printing press of the federal government.

    TH
    I've worked in several African countries, most recently in South Sudan. One of the things I've noticed in the last decade is that people pretty much don't even have checking accounts. They are living 10-40 a month. People are buying things with their cell phones. They are just punching in some buttons and the money transfer happens. There's nothing like this happening in the US or is there?

    DR
    There are the beginnings. There's lots of efforts. There's a famous one in Ithaca, NY. There's some successful ones in Michagan.
    It tends to be people don't want to adopt this when they have access to the dollar.

    They don't really help you save. With the local currency you want to stay near zero. You want to be providing as much to your community as your taking out. You can't really accumulate them the same way. They don't get interest. You can stick them in the bank. You can't invest in Intel stock with them.

    What local currencies can do is lead people to start looking to alternatives to the kind of security they've imagined before. So that your security may have less to do with your 401k plan than your ties to your community. If your in a real community of people who care about each other that should be worth more than a couple of hundred thousand dollars in the bank to buy stuff in the supermarket. Unfortunately It may take the economy getting worse before people find this what I think is a much more profound and stabile form of economic activity.

    TH
    I think you're right and it's going to get worse, personally. That speaks to a more egalitarian economy. A more human based one. How do we do that in a digital age, where the digital tools are run by giant corporations or people who can cloak their identity?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part 3 of transcript

    DR
    Many people have to imagine the zombie apocalypse. Many people have to imagine the utter destruction of everything we know in order to get to the simple lifestyle. The sad thing about it people look at the zombie apocalypse as wish fulfillment. At least there's no twitter, no phone ringing, no job to get to.

    People need to learn to use their technologies in ways that are consonant with what they actually want in their lives.

    My phone only rings when it's my wite or my best friend. Everybody else goes to voicemail.

    The less you're available to the borg the more you're available to the people around you.

    Out on the net that's not the human turf. That's an abstract turf. That's were corporations, abstract entities have the home field advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update Suelo! Feeling love for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to hear about your amazing adventures. Reading your story inspires faith in something bigger then ourselves. I cant wait to read more. lots of love to you all. Bruni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to be with family! Almost to the point of no return. Have just a couple of more things to give away and I'm on the road!! :) #7 on the way loganlovelight~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much anticipating your possible taking the plunge with us, LPPM!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to see you traveling with other like minded individuals. I love you and what you do and love seeing your journey unfold. But I have to say I find the sentences at the top of the blog, you know "Wild Nature, outside commercial civilization..." etc. a little troubling. While I'm all about shining a light on how capitalism AND civlization are deeply problematic in terms of the horrific social, cultural, psychological and ecological situations they create, and showing people directly that there are clear alternatives to these ways of living (and, as I know you know but I just want to reiterate for other readers, capitalism is a form of civilization but civilization based around conquest and trade pre-dates it, for more on that I highly recommend Fredy Perlman's anachist history of civilizations "Against His-story, Against Leviathan"). But in this intro to your blog you almost seem to be saying capitalism and civilization are unnatural, and the rhetoric of saying something is natural or unnatural takes one ultimately into an intellectually indefensible realm of personal (or society-wide) value judgments. Humans are part of nature, and everything they do is natural, and nature contains a variety of situations that we do not like looking at -- endemic rape as a means of reproduction among mallard ducks comes to mind. If one really wants to understand nature one has to see how it consists of equal parts love and sharing and brutal, violent competition. But we have no control over nature except to murder and annihilate it, while we do arguably have agency in creating social relationships and cultural memes where sharing and cooperation eclipse guilt, violence and competition. But that's not about being more "natural." It's about being more egalitarian, more sustainable, etc. Food for thought...All love from Dan in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without having any interest in argumentativeness, I ask ... can some human beings seek to be more and more like the god-man, Jesus Christ, while others for whatever reason do not seem to have it within themselves to be able to do likewise? In other words...while Suelo and those seeking to emulate him, seek to walk and live closer to the way Jesus Christ did, is it really possible for others, for whatever reasons, to walk in a manner which is contrary, or totally opposite (i.e. capitalism-like, civilized and property ownership-driven,...) to the manner in which Jesus Christ walked & lived, and yet both Suelo and his group, as well as, those who are in the capitalist/civilized group, both, be equally good, right, moral, and beneficial for the well-being of all people everywhere? Can we truly be good in the love-filled eyes of the Great Good One no matter which path we choose in life? How can we truly be sons of the "God is love" Creator explained in the Bible if we choose to live in the way that is totally opposite to HIS example set from 01 A.D. - 33 A. D.? HE is the NATURE Creator. Suelo is emulating the LORD JESUS' way of life while in the flesh. My concluding thought: A person can be moral, natural, giving and kind, or not moral, neither natural, nor giving nor kind. No one can be both! ~

      Delete
    2. It's easier if we reduce it to the basics. If any human being on earth becomes completely him- or herself, which means actually becoming nothing, we become what we already are, according to scripture: the Image of God. Now, the question: can any human simply be him or herself? But if there is no likeness (no image) of God but God, and (according to scripture) Christ is the Image of God, what does that make any of us, if we are True? I am Who I am. Be nothing else.

      Delete
    3. Exactly, Dan in Indiana!

      Suelo! Isn't putting on a front to impress others also the way we are? I am a phony vs I am real, are both value judgments on our nature, saying one is real and the other is false, but is that really true? Really, in all those things, we are who we are, including the deceptive, the honest, the true and the false. So, who IS the real me, you, them? And why does it matter?

      Delete
    4. What urges you to challenge my challenging the system? Yes, it wouldn't be natural if somebody like you didn't rise to challenge my ideas! And it wouldn't be natural if somebody like me didn't rise to challenge the system of commerce. Why does anything matter? Why get out of bed in the morning? Is it unnatural to feel loathing for our own poop, knowing poop is natural? Is my feeling or the thought that something is "unnatural" natural? Ultimately, all I know is my heart, and argument over these things takes me away from my heart knowledge, an endless loop getting us lost in apathy, yet feeling absolved by our lawyer cleverness. We're still evolving to adapt to these recent arrivals in evolution--big brains. And they still get us stuck, removed from what our heart feels as "natural." However you argue, all I know is it feels natural to follow my heart, unnatural to ignore my heart for my head. That's my heart's bias, and I find that it so far hasn't deceived me, unlike my head.

      Delete
    5. What urges me is observing the discrepancies of your speech. It exposes your bias and hence what is not true.

      Delete
    6. I must clarify I agree with you that putting on a front to impress others is also the way we are, I am, & I can't argue with it. Peacocks spread their feathers. The real and the unreal, both are "me." What I think is "me" is unreal, since thinking itself is nothing but symbol and image: illusion seeing only illusion, like this discussion right now. However, the urge to go beyond facade to find what is real is also in "me." Where does that urge come from? Is it natural? If it is natural, what gives you the urge to protest it? If not natural, your challenge is moot. Is there any brain, any thought, on earth that is unbias? Ultimately, I agree with you. But let the players play their roles, or look beyond their roles (their thoughts) if they feel the urge to find their true selves. Whatever they do or say, somebody will protest or find argument against it. That's natural. Perhaps even the feeling and idea of unnatural. Natural selection at work.

      Delete
    7. So, what you are saying is that the real you is the one beneath the facade? What makes one a facade and the other real? Or is it real once it is acted out? Or does it become a facade once it is acted out?

      Are you also saying that that which is intangible (what you think), is unreal, or what IS tangible is unreal because it equates to symbolism? Are trees therefore real or unreal? What standard do we use to judge what is real and what is symbol? What if everything tangible is only symbol? Symbolizing what? That which a prophet or guru tells us they symbolize? But once he tells us, it isn't real. But once he acts upon it IS real? Who says? The guru?

      So, the guru can think any evil but if he does good he is good and a Christian? What about the pedophile that does so much good for the child but then molests him? Is he good or evil? The good lasted over months and years. The molestation ten minutes. Does time determine a person's worthiness for the label of good and Christian? Or does the one short act of molestation cancel out all the good? By what standard?

      Delete
    8. No answers? ^^^ Wrong logic leads to no answers that make any sense.

      Delete
    9. Dear Anonymous,
      Your cup is full. I suggest emptying it, seeing as you seem to have no room to imbibe Suelo's delicious decision to share his wisdom freely with you.

      Sincerely,
      King Lucas

      Delete
  11. Hey guys just placed a order for 100 of the little Peace Pilgrim booklets ! Will be here in ten days all for free:) thanks Peace Pilgrim. Maybe we can make it to her celebration this yr!


    Peace Pilgrim - Birthday Celebration

    The 6th annual Peace Celebration will take place September 20-22, 2013
    In her birthplace, Egg Harbor City, NJ.
    Visit PeacePilgrim100.com for information about this and previous events.

    *****

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suelo - Sounds like you guys are off to a wonderful start. The animosity that you have encountered is just a test or opportunity to see the good in others (no matter how deeply its buried). Peace Pilgrim spoke repeatedly about the ‘spark of good’ in everyone. When I stayed @ the Jackson Hot Springs Resort last July on my Continental Divide hike from Canada to Mexico, they treated me with wonderful consideration – keeping the hot spring pool on the 2nd floor open after-hours and upgrading me to a nice two-bedroom suite when I had a noisy, snoring neighbor next door in my cabin. In the morning, the other employees came over during the continental breakfast to ask me about my journey. Probably I met a different crew than you, but regardless of who we meet the challenge is to see the good in them. I look forward to hearing more about the tribe’s adventures!

    Aloha,
    freebird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money bought that treatment.

      Delete
    2. Yes, this is my point. The business mind doesn't get it. People are way friendly when you pay for it. When you don't have money, you see the true heart of the business mind. You can pay a prostitute for good sex and think she has a good heart. But her heart is totally not in it, and only a heart that is with you is a good heart, a human heart. "Businessmen and merchants will not enter the places of my Father" (--Jesus)

      Delete

    3. But, don't get me wrong. There's a good, real human being under every businessman. But the human must be put aside for business, the real must be put aside for the actor, otherwise business wouldn't work, no matter how business advertising tells you otherwise. I know even saying this will raise ire, it being the very heart of our culture, but we must face it and understand it.

      Delete
    4. "There's a good, real human being under every businessman." Really? What proof anywhere do you have for that, written or unwritten, stated or unstated, by works or by thought? Or did you get this by supernatural revelation? From whom? Consensus of opinion? That is still subjective. Out of your heart? But isn't out of the businessman's heart (where his treasure is), that all HIS thoughts to pursue riches came from??

      Delete
    5. If what is real inside a human is evil, and if you believe God is creator, then God created evil and is evil. Only illusion departing from humanness can be "evil." If there is nothing good in humans there is nothing real in humans, then humans really don't exist and God created nothing in his image. If there is no image of God but God, as scripture says, then the image of
      God is eternal existence, eternal reality. Is this clever argument and semantics, or based on proven reality? I'll propose that the proof is within you, "you know all things", and you can find it out for yourself. The law written on the heart, not on paper or stone, is the only thing you can ever know. Maybe what I just said here is bogus. You know you can prove it for yourself.

      Delete
    6. Evil is perversion of good, not an object that is created. Why are you quoting some of Scripture and leaving out the rest? This is causing you to oppose not only the rest of Scripture, but yourself and you are becoming more and more contradictory. God is not the God of confusion and contradiction but of immovable laws and order, as is seen everywhere.

      Delete
    7. Evil is either a construct of the human mind, in which case it is indefensible, or it finds it roots in God, in which case, we better get it right, not leave it to the human mind, emotions or bodily urges.

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm reading at my desk up here in Canadia, near tears of joy for what you're doing, wishing I had the guts to join you. A big thank you, also, for offering me a way to keep tabs on my beautiful Guatemala buddy, Mika. Our paths will cross again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's fun to read your story! I am so sorry you had a hard time getting out of New Jersey--I live there, and I'd have been happy to give you a lift somewhere!

    Note to LoganPeacePilgrimmote; Thanks for the info on the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've really wanted to join you to the moneyless tribe. If I weren't in South Korea.(and I am Korean) Yes, I am quite far from north America, but I am greatly inspired from your life. It's not just a written word but your life that shows it's possible to live without money for more than a decade. I am glad to see the moneyless tribe really kicked off. Look forward to see you and other people all gathered for the same purpose. Until then, lots of loves to you. Let's keep it rollin'

    Hanah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted to add I'm eagerly anticipating an update on the next destination on the travels, and also wanted to touch upon something that was really cemented home for me at teh gathering and after spending time with Suelo+the tribe.

    I really have much less fear these days about the future because I realize that I can live and even thrive without money, without a home, without a "job"....so many of our anxieities and pitfalls surround much of this.

    But to simply exist, to travel, to eat, to talk, to interact....it is rather easy if you are willing to be flexible and live in the present moment.

    It's not unlike when Suelo was working with the homeless years back and found he was scared about ending up like them...and in classic exposure therapy/conquer your fear fashion, he probed further and experimented and found out there wasn't as much fear to be had after all.

    It's all about intention and state of mind...if you are struggling to get an apartment/job from the streets, that can be a challenge indeed. But if you exist like a noble scavenger, like our animal friend the Raven....then truly can you be at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks,Tyler, I really enjoyed your post - so true !

    gina

    ReplyDelete
  18. suelo,

    please explain more about what babylon is? your interpretation of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commerce. That's it.
      Babylon is called the Great Whore, the system that acts only for gain, parading as love, parading as human sincerity.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. freemeansnomoney@gmail.com
      It's supposed to be in this blog & website contact. I'll have to go back & check again.

      Delete
  20. I saw a sign for this at the rainbow gathering this year. Imediately my heart felt like it was in the right place. I have been thinking about this for so long and all the people I tried to connect with eventually flaked out before we ever got to this point. I never made it up the hill to meet with you all, and I cant stop thinking about how crucial I believe money free living is...In order to restore some healing and balance to people and the earth. Capitalism is the source of many uglies in our world, including mass pollution etc etc. How can I become involved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late to hook up with us.
      We're in Missoula now for a week or 2. Toying with the idea of building free bicycles here & turn this into a moneylesscycle tribe.

      Delete
    2. If you starved to death through no fault of your own, would that be God's Will?

      Delete
    3. All I know is if it's not by my own will, I have to accept it, whether or not I believe it's "God's will" What other choice is there? And there is no greater peace than accepting what you cannot control. And there is no greater peace and power than saying, I would rather starve to death than take part in a dishonest system. Then it would be a choice that fills me with a sense of power. So far, I find that, in making that choice, ironically, I don't starve or even go hungry. If you have a choice to not starve to death, then you can't say it is "no fault of your own", can you? It is an empowering feeling when you find you have a choice. And it is a blissful feeling to accept what you have no choice about. Acting such, you find out for yourself first hand whether or not it is "God's will", not taking my word for it or against it.

      Delete
    4. Okay, thank you. Good luck with the moneyless tribe.

      Delete
  21. You guys are truly an inspiration and I look forward to your next post! How does one entertain the thought of going moneyless when one is in debt from a decade of bad choices? Wishing to change the course of my life, but feeling stuck.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My g/f is in similar debt shackles.

      Trying to find a solution to that...obviously if one owns nothing/doesn't care about credit rating then debt has no bearing; you can laugh in the face of the system.

      I was reading "doing nothing" http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005M4JCH6
      and it talked about the ultimate slacker movie "office space" and I just burst out laughing realizing the secret of not giving a damn and being free!

      Delete
  22. That'd create blisters in more irritating places. I admire you guys. What you're doing shows passion, commitment, strength and a spirit of interdependence.

    ReplyDelete
  23. All I can say is BLESS YOU ALL. If you are ever on the North Shore of Lake Superior you have a place to stay. I would love to meet you all and give you big hugs for doing something that feels so right, yet scares the "hell" out of most of us. Even those of us that are trying to attain some higher "self".

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Suelo,

    My best wishes for the moneyless tribe.I have decided to go from Estonia to Greece my homeland without using money.I have 80 euros.I want to keep them for security. what you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started, transitioning to moneylessness, I kept $50 in my pocket for security. When I finally decided to get rid of the $50, I finally felt infinite security, mind in the present, no imaginary security blankets, nothing to fall back upon but reality. And intense exhilaration. Where your treasure is, there will your heart be.

      Delete
  25. I am looking to join and help in a group that fallows the same ideas as you and yours. I have been traveling for the past year without any income and have finally hit the point where I would like to truly live freely. How can I find a group that coincides with these beliefs?

    ReplyDelete
  26. moneyless and cashless go together! no cash, no money!

    ReplyDelete
  27. God in us, preparing for what is not yet seen. Why need faith when death is no more? God in us, being good to God in another. God's image, being good to God's image. We need to be each others money. People being good to each other. Real free cannot exist, when money is used anywhere. Money makes people to lie. Free trade, Free exchange, and free commerce, are lies. There is no free in them, even when the word free is used. People say freedom of religon, with people fearing to be themselves. Godless people influence laws, that give fear. Jamie's 1:26 - 7 does not talk about freedom of religon. Free speech is a lie, when people are unable to address the topics, that are talked about. Freedom is an illution, when ages are controlled as to what they can, and cannot see. God is loving, and kind. God is easily intreated. God voice is pleasant. God is reasonable. There is no deceit in him. Jesus will see, and hear himself in another person.
    1 Peter 4:10 - As every man hath received the gift, [even so] minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. " All of us has their gifts, and ability's. The number of different shops, is evidence of that. Matthew 23:11 - But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. Luke 6:38 - Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." People who give, will also receive, that which they gave, when they ask for whatever, to be restored. The world needs to work as one. Galatians Chapter 5: 13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." I wish we had the liberty - freedom to be nude, when we a wanted to be nude. What is temporary. All that is, will pass away. Satan, a gold and gem covered being visually seen, wants to gain the whole world, through people. Resist that being. That being will flee from you, when you resist that being. You will chain that being, when you do that. God will need to destroy all that is when God makes all things new. It will look like a strange act. God has to do that. God is going to change the elements, so they will be what they were before sin. Jesus in his glory looks like Sardine and Jasper stone. That is a red orange color. You will not be looking at Satan, doing that. The church gave misinformation, hoping to fool you. The lost5 are not tormented forever. The soul that sins it shall die. The earth in burned to he lowest depths, or lowest hell. It is a purification process.

    ReplyDelete
  28. No one was shot at the capital. People said were in. Democrats are lying. Trump is protecting all of us, including the Israelite's. Trump must remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to check out my latest post, right here in this blog:
      "IT'S JUST WORDS": A DIALOGUE BETWEEN DONALD J. TRUMP & THE BIBLE"
      http://zerocurrency.blogspot.com/2021/01/its-just-words-dialogue-between-donald.html

      Delete
  29. Moneyless needs to be all over. It does not mean doing without. Products come from all over. We are all connected, in one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jesus was carful with what he said. Words are not just words Trump. Jesus would have ended up allowing Satan into his mind, had Jesus say the wrong words. Solomon, and Job, were rich. Biden is a boaster boasting in being fraudulent. Christs enemies were not of the seed of Abraham even when they were the literal seed of Abraham. The same is done to others. A change in how Christs enemies thought, would make them to be of Abrahams seed again. The church is born of fornication, making fornication, to be sex. They are rich and increased with goods thinking they need nothing. Biden thinks he is rich having need of nothing. Proverbs 1:5
    A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:" Trump considered my wise counsel. Biden is not doing that. God in us needs, to forgive others. Devils won't forgive anyone. The body is fallen into sin. Condemners sin. Guilt givers sin. Imagine the mentality that will not be in God's kingdom. Ninevites repented of having a violent mentality. All Quran followers are ISIS seeming to be peaceful, until the last second. You are not the second coming of God. You cannot melt the eliminants in the earth,. to the lowest depths, or lowest hell or make stars to blink out or make mountains to be made low or valleys to rise or move islands out of their place. Fornication is not sex. John 8:33
    “They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?”
    Defiled religious people, were in bondage to Satan. Abraham was not in bandage to Satan. John 8:41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God." Christs enemies were born of fornication, wanting Jesus to be dead. The church is born of fornication saying death, to gays, zoophilia people. Don't commit adultery. A devil possessed person fornicates against God, sinning against themselves. (Daniel 11:37) is talking about what already happened. (Genesis 3:15) Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. Trump was resisting the urge to date his daughter praising her for how she looked. People take God's name in vain, when they don't do the works of God. Muslims are insulted when truth is spoken. Hell fire is God in his glory. They that give fire will see God's light as the fires of hell. The church and legal system taught people to hear gay, Furry, zoophilia, pedophilia, hate. Pedophilia people have rules. Biden, and Hillary think money. People set traps for pedos. Vexing people with filthy communication. Trump, is wise wanting a total shut down of Muslims. They that are here, are an ever growing danger. They will bite the hand that helps them. Muslims hate Jesus in reality. Melchizedek was Jesus, who is the priest above all priests. Muslims abhor the thought of connecting themselves with Jesus, calling themselves Melchizedekeans, saying why. Solomon feel with people around, who are like Muslims. They want more Muslims. That is all. Sue, is all money loving people know. Youtube, FaceBook Twittwer media, and Biden, don't think about giving anyone their cloak, had they have one. A kid started a fight with me, at the Middletown school. He was on my back, at one point of the confrontation. I was face down. I torqued my body up, lifting a really heavy person up like a person lifting a metal door, off of them. He fell on the wooden floor on his back with a loud boom. I got up pointing my finger at him saying: Will you do that again? He shook his head, saying a definite, no! (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)is charity. The church made it to be a place to give money, and things that no one wants anymore. That has already happened. The soul that sins it shall die has been changed to mean the opposite to that, with eternal suffering. Sexuality names are scared to be themselves. God's nude image is punished, when seen walking around.

    ReplyDelete
  31. esus was carful with what he said. Words are not just words Trump. Jesus would have ended up allowing Satan into his mind, had Jesus say the wrong words. Solomon, and Job, were rich. Biden is a boaster, boasting about being fraudulent. Christs enemies were not of the seed of Abraham even when they were the literal seed of Abraham. The same is done to others. A change in how Christs enemies thought, would make them to be of Abrahams seed again. The church is born of fornication, making fornication to be sex. They are rich and increased with goods thinking they need nothing. Biden thinks he is rich having need of nothing. Pro 1:5
    A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:" Trump considered my wise counsel. Biden is not doing that. God in us needs, to forgive others. Devils won't forgive anyone. The body is fallen into sin. Condemners sin. Guilt givers sin. Imagine the mentality that will not be in God's kingdom. Ninevites repented of having a violent mentality. Quran followers are ISIS seeming to be peaceful, until the last second. You are not the second coming of God. You cannot melt the eliminants in the earth to the lowest depths, or lowest hell or make stars to blink out or make mountains to be made low or valleys to rise or move islands out of their place. Fornication is not sex. John 8:33
    “They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?”
    Defiled religious people, were in bondage to Satan. Abraham was not in bandage to Satan. John 8:41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God." Christs enemies were born of fornication, wanting Jesus to be dead. The church is born of fornication saying death, to gays, zoophilia people. A devil possessed person fornicates against God, sinning against themselves. (Daniel 11:37) is talking about what already happened. (Genesis 3:15) Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. Trump was resisting the urge to date his daughter praising her for how she looked. People take God's name in vain, when they don't do the works of God. Muslims are insulted when truth is spoken. Hell fire is God in his glory. They that give fire will see God's light as the fires of hell. The church and legal system taught people to hear gay, Furry, zoophilia, pedophilia, hate. Pedophilia people have rules. Biden, and Hillary think money. People set traps for pedos. Vexing people with filthy communication. Trump, is wise wanting a total shut down of Muslims. They that are here, are an ever growing danger. They will bite the hand that helps them. Muslims hate Jesus in reality. Melchizedek was Jesus, who is the priest above all priests. Muslims abhor the thought of connecting themselves with Jesus, calling themselves Melchizedekeans, saying why. Solomon fell with people around, who are like Muslims. They want more Muslims. That is all. Sue, is all money loving people know. That makes them consider what you say. Youtube, FaceBook Twittwer media, and Biden, don't think about giving anyone their cloak, had they have one. A kid started a fight with me, at the Middletown school. He was on my back, at one point of the confrontation. I was face down. I torqued my body up, lifting a really heavy person up like a person lifting a metal door, off of them. He fell on the wooden floor on his back with a loud boom. I got up pointing my finger at him saying: Will you do that again? He shook his head, saying a definite, no! (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)is charity. The church made it to be a place to give money, and things that no one wants anymore. That has already happened. The soul that sins it shall die has been changed to mean the opposite to that, with eternal suffering. Sexuality names are scared to be themselves. God's nude image is punished, when seen walking around.

    ReplyDelete
  32. God in us, asking God in another, according to how God has blessed them. People can have cars, and bikes, and even the vehicle of their choice. I would like to pedal a RAHT Racer. It multiplies the amount of energy, that you put into the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete